Tuesday, August 7, 2012

The First Venture Westward


Since arriving in Mendoza, I’ve been aching to get into the mountains. From the city, they appear as dark blue forms jutting into the horizon, their huge outlines hinting at their majesty but also the fact that they’re just out of my reach. On a clear day, you can see slightly clearer the rocks and brush that adorn their faces, but for the most part they just sit and tantalize me, using the sun as a sort of finger beckoning me towards them as it crosses the sky.

If there’s one thing I can say I’ve gained over this past week or so, it’s confidence. When I arrived in Buenos Aires, the thought of talking to local Argentines was simply terrifying (I mean they would respond in Spanish for Pete’s sake!) but since then, I’ve talked to all sorts of cashiers, bus drivers, professors, and total strangers when lost. It’s not so much that my Spanish has improved, it’s just that I have the confidence now to try, even though I still speak like a confused fourth grader. I may speak poorly, but now I’ve embraced that I speak poorly. It’s not like they’d ever confuse me for a local anyway. Lol

So where all this is leading is I decided to go to a local tour group and excursion place in the city and chat with them about the many trips they offer. I’d researched the company ahead of time and had lots of questions, and luckily the lady at the store was very sweet. Once I got the spiel on how excursions work, it didn’t take me another minute to sign up for mountain biking for that weekend “level = difficult” and got two of my guy friends to go with me. Finally my dreams of venturing into the Andes were to come true!
9am on Sunday morning, I was picked up from my house by the tour van and taken westward to their park in the mountains. As the dark blue forms creeped closer, I noticed larger, grander forms behind them, white capped and scraping the sky. Los Andes. Seems the dark blue forms I’d been seeing were only the foothills.

As we continued upwards (gaining elevation fairly quickly much to the exhaustion of our minivan) the terrain continued to become more grandiose. I’ve decided it’s sort of like Arizona meets Colorado. The foothills are covered in low brush and cactus (Cuyo and Mendoza are considered arid desert) but then the larger peaks are snow covered and so enormous it makes me think of home instantly. But these mountains are not to be trifled with. My 14ners at home that I love so much are a weensy bit small in comparison to these monsters. The range we biked under hosted a few 16,000 foot peaks and not far yonder sat an 18,000 footer who would calmly look down 4,000 feet at my mountains if it were located in Colorado.
 
Ya, they’re a tad bit large.

Biking in this scenery was absolutely incredible. Each time I looked up I had to remember to look back down in order to come home with both front teeth still intact. The clouds too have this incredible ribbon-like quality that made the sky look like a water color painting. It’s like the tops of the mountains were running their jagged fingers through the clouds and separating them into strands. So beautiful.

The biking itself was, well, interesting. We dubbed it “river biking” because most of the time we were in a dried up river bed. At other times, it was not so dried up. Haha! Needless to say I got very good at biking in sand and learning how to correct when your bike is fishtailing or refusing to go where you want (the solution is to pedal faster). Ryan, Alexander, and I had a great time and couldn’t have been happier, regardless of the sand, and water, and mud.

Once we returned to the excursion park we decided to indulge in an asado (Argentine BBQ) on the restaurant deck overlooking the reservoir and the mountains. $20US per person got us salamis, empanadas, cheeses, bread, salad, meat that melted in our mouths, and dessert plus a bottle of local wine to share. We were very happy river bikers.

Needless to say, I can’t wait to go back and love the Andes immensely. It was a huge factor in my coming here and it’s living up to its acclaim!
 

 -Lisa en Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment