Thursday, July 19, 2012

An Introduction

Heart pounding, eyes wide, I put down the phone. The timer on the digital display says 22 minutes and I'm all smiles. I just had my first conversation with a local Argentine, my host mom Dina Hernandez, and for 22 minutes! This would be superfluous of course if it didn't come with a) a heck of a phone bill, and b) the fact that it was all in Spanish, which is my main motivator for traveling south of the equator for five months.

Ever since my first mission trip, which was to Juarez, Mexico, I've craved to be fluent in Spanish. I love the Latino culture, I love the beauty of the language, and more than anything, I love the idea of being connected to another community through a common identity of communication. Thus, my dream of fluency blossomed via DU (University of Denver) where 80% of students study abroad. You see, I do this thing where I set a goal, in this case full-immersion Spanish in my study abroad program of choice, then go through all the paperwork, red tape, long nights, etc. to set myself up for it, somehow all without consciously realizing how tough the final challenge will be. So now, after applications, essays, and two years of college level Spanish instruction I find myself heading speedily towards my final goal - full-immersion in Mendoza, Argentina. Suddenly my brain seems to be questioning my tough determination all those applications so long ago, can I really do this?

22 minutes later I'm beginning to think I can, and it's lifted me to a whole new level of excitement. Aside from full-immersion Spanish, including classes at the local university with other Argentines and staying with Dina, I'm also in one of the most beautiful places in Argentina. Mendoza is in wine-country in the foothills of the Andes on Argentina's western border and is a hot tourist spot for many Latin Americans. (For proof, see photo above). Activities nearby include hiking, whitewater rafting, zip lining, and mountain climbing (Aconcagua is not far from Mendoza) not to mention bike and wine tours and innumerable cultural and historical opportunities. In short, the community I'm about to be a part of will provide its challenges, but will also provide incredible opportunities for learning, growth, and discovery and I plan to take full advantage of them all.

Through this blog I'll relay the challenges and adventures that I'm sure to experience for the next five months, along with a multitude of pictures so be sure to check in often! :)  Also, if you would like to send anything, the address to use is:

Lisa Parker
c/o José Mostafá
Rivadavia 122 7˚76
5500 Mendoza
Argentina

To everyone that's helped me get to this point, thank you so much for your support and encouragement. I couldn't do it without you!

Let the adventures begin!
- Lisa en Argentina

2 comments:

  1. I guess when you were threatening to run away from home, you were serious!! Yet, most runaways do not leave a sophisticated blog as a trail.

    Carry a camera with you everywhere. Remember all of the people who are living vicariously through your experiences. You are a goal oriented person. 5 months is approximately 150 days. 100 photos a day is reasonable. Set 15,000 photos as your goal!

    ReplyDelete