Sunday, July 29, 2012

The Sights of Buenos Aires


IFSA Butler planned two days for sightseeing in the city before we leave for Mendoza so we can relax and get to know the culture and history of this beautiful city. Naturally I took my camera everywhere and was quiet the gringo tourist, but I’m so glad I did! The city is beautiful and I was happy I got to capture some of its famous attractions for myself.
 
For example, we saw the inside of the Catedral Metropolitana de Buenos Aires, which just about took my breath away. The mausoleum of San Martín (Argentina’s national hero) is here and of course I had to take a picture with one of the guards of his army (a more ceremonial army than active) which as you can see in the picture at right, he thoroughly enjoyed. Below are a few of my other favorite pictures from the church. The left is one of the many chapels. This one was called the Capilla de San Luis Gonzaga. The middle picture is from the mausoleum of San Martín. And the last photo is the main alter of the church, which was so beautiful, but very hard to photograph.

 

We also went to La Boca, a neighborhood near the mouth of the River Plate (boca is Spanish for mouth). The immigrants that lived there built their homes from the dock after it closed. They couldn’t afford bricks so they bought the paint that others discarded for cheap. Hence you get yellow, green, blue, and many other colors on the metal buildings. Some people still live in the apartments, but it’s mostly a tourist attraction now with shops, restaurants, and many locals dancing the tango for donations.


After lunch and all this touring, a group of my new friends and I went to a cute little wine bar in a different part of the city. Yes, I drank a glass of Sauvignon Blanc, which was very difficult to order not because of my aversion to alcohol so much as my inability to use anything but a Spanish accent when I’m speaking and thinking in Spanish. Luckily the waiter forgave me. :)

That night after orientation, we had dinner on our own, so I went with another group for pizza at a restaurant close by. Afterwards, we determined that we only had one night left in Buenos Aires, so better make the most of it! Argentine time is very different than the United States when “going out” for the night, as in clubs don’t open till 2:00am. Like total champs though, we went to a bar at about midnight where we met some nice local Argentine men (who my more advanced Spanish-speaking friends totally chatted up). They eventually used their connections to get us into Club Kiko with VIP access and no cover charge. We danced until after 3am when I finally went back to the hotel. We had a 7:30 wake-up call the next morning, but it was incredible!
 
The next morning was more sightseeing with a slightly less active crowd than the club the night before at the Recoleta Cemetery and Nuestro Senorá del Pilar Church. The church is the oldest in Buenos Aires, founded in 1732 and was so beautiful. The cemetery was incredible also. I hadn’t ever seen anything like it! We saw the mausoleums of multiple Argentine presidents and other famous Argentines. One very creepy story was that of one girl who was buried in a coma. She suffocated of course, and when they reburied her they put a statue of a girl in nightgown trying to open a door with no handle (see below) Worst nightmare anyone? I tried to be artistic with my pictures in the cemetery, because it was so beautiful and ornate. Definitely an incredible place!
 
After lunch, our time in Buenos Aires was over and we headed to the airport for Mendoza. I’ll never forget this city and all its sights and history. Now it’s on to the real challenge, Spanish 24/7 and living with a new family for five months. It still hasn’t hit me that this isn’t a vacation, it’s a new life in a different country. I’ll let you know when that moment does occur, but for now, I’ll leave you with just a few more shots of the beautiful capital of Argentina!

-Lisa en Argentina


No comments:

Post a Comment