Thursday, October 25, 2012

The 'Rents Visit Argentina! (Also known as, that one country in South America we'd never thought of visiting before)

As many of you know, my parents were considering visiting me wherever I decided to study abroad this semester. It all sounded like a dandy excuse to travel to them, that is while they were imagining the shores of a Spanish beach, or the cathedrals of Italy, or the cozy English countryside. That's when I started throwing out this whole "full-emersion Spanish!" and "Latin America!" business which put a little pause in their step. South America? Do we really want to go there?

I remember when I was debating which program to choose and my parents were very much hinting that they'd like me to study in Costa Rica, in part because it's closer to the States. Me being who I am though, I had very much made up my mind I was going to Argentina, almost 3,500 miles further south. How did I convince them?

"Mom, would you rather visit me in a jungle full of snakes? Or in wine country in the foothills of the Andes?"

No more convincing necessary.

Months later, I found myself anxiously waiting at the international arrivals gate at the small airport here in Mendoza. I was trying to distract myself by watching this adorable little girl about three years old dressed in a cute skirt and pigtails hop around the waiting area, seemingly amazed by her ability to rise 2-inches off the floor. This was much preoccupying her (and me) when out of the secure area comes a familiar face. "Mommy!" She screamed and went running up to a tall woman who dropped all her bags to swoop her little girl up into her arms.

Yup. I got a bit choked up. And low-and-behold, seemingly ages later, I see two familiar faces myself and basically repeat the exact same scene (minus jumping into mom or dad's arms, since I'm a wee bit larger than a three year old). It was crazy to think that after months and months of discussion and planning and buying plane tickets and Spanish-English guidebooks that they were actually here, in my adopted country of Argentina. Let the shenanigans begin.

No look! They're really here! (At las termas hot springs in the Andes)


As for the actual events of the week, I leave that up to my guest writers, my two wonderful Gringo parents who will update you on our adventures just as soon as the jet lag wears off. Stay tuned!

- Lisa en Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment